Sunday, November 14, 2010

Impunity

I had dinner last night with a friend who recently retired from the XXX High School.  (You've probably read about this as it has been covered on many blogs and in the local newspapers.)  She is one of the teacher that brought charges, serious charges against her AP and the principal.  She is one of the ones that felt victorious when the arbitrator found in favor of the teachers.  She is one of the ones that feels she wasted her time.

1.  The chapter chairman, the one who fought the fight, is gone from that school.  He was forced, under threat of continued "U"s to leave.  He was just too good at exposing the misconduct of the administrators in question.

2.  The young teachers in the department are still discouraged (and forbidden) from talking to the veteran teachers in the department.

3.  Three brand new  teachers, right out of college were hired in September.  (So much for a hiring freeze in that school and no, these are not special education teachers.)

4.  The AP and the principal go on as if nothing has happened.  Other than a slap on the wrist (if they even got that much) they faced no penalties for their actions, actions they were found guilty of.

Continue reading here, for impunity hitting closer to home.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

My name is marilyn and I really enjoy reading your blog and would like to be able to continue reading your posts but I do not have permission. Please consider inviting me to read your blog. marilynwinter1189@gmail.com. I teach in Oregon at a Middle School and reading your blog gives me hope as I do not have the courage to be as frank as you are and I value what you have to say. Please let me know one way or the other. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

I must have missed this story--is this the one where the principal and teacher had an affair on school grounds???

Pissedoffteacher said...

Not that story. This one went on for years, way past the time the contract and city set to settle these things. Klein went in favor of admins, even against arbitrator.